Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cable TV - one of the biggest scams of the 21st Century



When cable first began you could see movies that had been in the theater now in the comfort of your own home. Movies you wanted to see but could not were made available to you. You could watch local and national shows.  The world of entertainment, news, education opened up. And it was good.

Fast forward to 2012 and the model for cable is now an archaic formula to squeeze as much money out of as it can.  We have moved from several dozen stations to in some cases hundreds of stations. HBO has six or seven different stations of its own. You can watch things in most major languages. If you are a sports fanatic then you never have to leave your house because you can watch it all. What is wrong with this?  Well the high pricing structure and lack of a la cart is what killed it for me.

When I had the full cable package from U-verse I spent the vast majority of my time sitting in my comfortable recliner and flipping stations. Well to be more accurate I flipped through the programming guide looking for something to watch.  While the DVR was great I more often than not skipped whole swaths of programming and ended up watching Big Bang Theory reruns.

I ignored the political crap. I ignored the news crap. I ignored the foreign language crap. I ignored the sports crap. That left me with the networks, cable stations such as TNT and USA, and the premium.  And I spent more time searching for something to watch that we finally decided to drop the premium stations. This meant that I would lose out on Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, and others.  Sure I missed out but I can always get them through Netflix once it comes out on disk.

So now I only have the network and cable stations. Once again I spent the majority of the time flipping stations. I would try to find something new to watch but again ended up watching Sheldon and crew try to make senses of American popular culture. So, in the end we dropped our cable all together.

In its stead we subscribe to Netflix and Hulu plus.  I can get the vast majority of the network shows on Hulu, a lot of old content through Netflix, and if it is on neither of them I can typically view them through the station website.

The point of this rant – it is the 21st century and you’d think that the content providers would go ahead and make deals to get more people to view their content.  If I don’t have HBO I have to visit a friend’s house or risk attempting to download illegally the latest episode of Game of Thrones.  HBO has an online portal but you have to have cable to view it.

The value of cable had dropped dramatically in the age of the internet. More people are dropping cable in favor of streaming sources.  I would pay $5-$10 a month to access HBO through the internet, maybe more.  Instead I’m trapped in packages that I don’t want, don’t need, and will never use.  I can pay $2 an episode through Amazon or iTunes, but again I’m getting taken to the cleaners to keep up on the shows I like.

Cable companies are shaking in their boots as more and more people cut the cord. You now have the internet, online gaming, video games, streaming video to entertain yourself with. No longer are people locked to their TV set unless the big game is on.  Why should I pay a premium for 80% stations I will never watch?  In my news feeds I can check mark the things I want to view and ignore those that I don’t. Why isn’t there a cable package like this? Money, pure and simple.

The cable companies have too much time, too much money, and too many resources in the current system. Most of the executives are trying to grasp at a bygone era as the modern age passes them by . So many stations would disappear if they were not bundled in with anything.  All those artsy stations or those catering to a small demographic would have to come up with major advertising revenue or shudder themselves.  Supply and demand baby.

My entertainment dollars are very precious and I am very careful how I spend them.  In this economy you have to be. I am hopeful that the old business model for cable goes the way of the long distance calls and local calling plans. I suspect we’ll have peace in the Middle East and something actually pass through Congress with bipartisan support before it happens. /endrant

2 comments:

  1. There are too many people who either can't get decent Internet or none at all, but can get cable, for them to do away with it completely. I agree that they should have gone to an ala carte system long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cancelled cable in late 2008 and haven't really missed after the first couple months of weirdness passed.. It's all reality nonsense now anyway.

    ReplyDelete